Cognitive-behavioral therapy is an evidence-based treatment for anxiety and depression (and other disorders as well) in children, adolescents and adults.
Here are some cool facts about it:
- Only 15% of mental health professionals have learned TRUE CBT (which includes exposure-therapy)–ONLY 12% practice!
- CBT has effectiveness rates of 60-90%. The more invested in treatment you are, the more your success rates increase!
- CBT is geared to be short term (3-6 months)
- CBT is skills-based; you learn the tools to handle/ cope with anxiety and depression on your own….
- CBT can be fun! While learning a lot about yourself, you will also have some fun pushing your limits and increasing the belief that you can handle anything that comes your way!
- CBT has better short-term AND long-term effectiveness rates compared to medication alone! Meds stop working once you stop taking them, but CBT can last a lifetime!
- Proper CBT is NOT “manualized.” It is flexible and designed for your individual needs.
- Ask your therapist what type of treatment they give you and WHY. Remember you have a voice in your treatment, it’s not just up to your therapist!