There is a lot of research out there regarding postpartum depression, but a lot of parents do not know about the postpartum clinical anxiety.
Some quick facts and figures:
- Approximately 75% of women experience postpartum blues (looks like clinical depression, but self-resolves within 2 weeks post birth) after birth.
- Of those women, around 20% will go on to experience postpartum depression.
- 16% will go on to experience postpartum anxiety (although you do not have to experience postpartum blues beforehand)
- Only 20% of OBGYNS screen for postpartum anxiety (which, although related, is different from assessment for postpartum depression)
- The majority of OBGYNs first line of treatment are SSRIs, antidepressants, which take 4-6 weeks to BEGIN working
- A small majority of OBGYNS recommend CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy) treatment
- CBT treatment for postpartum anxiety and depression is evidence-based and begins to work right away. The effects will also maintain post SSRI treatment completion.
And if you are in the DC area, our center also does this type of treatment, with home visits (www.washingtonanxietycenter.com)
Remember that a happy mommy and daddy means a happy baby!